Press "Enter" to skip to content

Political Science Student Earns Medal of Honor for Leadership

Quieraney Belvin, a senior in the Department of Political Science, was recently awarded the Medal of Honor by the Texas State University Leadership Institute. The prestigious award, which honors students who are “dedicated to inclusivity of others, social responsibility, civic engagement, empowerment, and exemplify integrity and ethics,” was granted to Belvin on account of her prolific volunteer work and her service as Student Senator and Justice of the Peer Review Board. She also served on two university committees, actively contributed to four student organizations, and attended various leadership and professional development conferences, seminars, and programs, such as the Capstone and Pathfinder events.

Belvin was appropriately proud of her accomplishment: “As a first-generation student, I am proud to obtain my diploma in May 2022, because it shows my dedication to my academics. But to receive the Medal of Hope is a symbol to my family and friends that college was the best investment for my future. It shows that I didn’t walk with my head down for the past four years, but I went out and I attempted to build and further my leadership skills,” said Belvin.

In addition to the Medal of Honor, Ms. Belvin earned several awards for scholastic achievement throughout her college career, including two Academic Excellence certifications from the Black Faculty and Staff Coalition as well as membership on the Dean’s List.

Visit the TXST Newsroom to read how student organizations enriched Belvin’s college career.