Press "Enter" to skip to content

Texas State Wins Big at ESMOAS

On November 4th-7th, Texas State students participated in the 25th Annual Eugene Scassa Mock Organization of American States (ESMOAS) competition held at St. Mary’s University in San Antonio. Approximately 120 students from across the region competed in the Summit of Americas and moot court competitions. Participating universities included Baylor University, University of Louisiana-Lafayette, Angelo State University, St. Mary’s University, Texas A&M International, Concordia University, St. Thomas University, Our Lady of the Lake University, Universidad Regiomontana, and National Autonomous University of Mexico. At the competition, students debated numerous regional topics ranging from rebuilding a sustainable tourism sector while preserving health security to strengthening the Inter-American Democratic Charter.

Texas State students represented the nations of Brazil and Colombia and fielded two moot court teams. Team Brazil consisted of Andrea Garcia Rodriguez (head delegate), Bridget Negrete, Miguel Perez, Destiny Fox, Taylor Williams, and Joel Zamora. Team Colombia consisted of Aaron Acevedo (head delegate), Kaitlyn Rodriguez, Priscilla Gonzalez, Mason Melead, Esai Garcia, and Ava Stuart. The teams of David Moncada/Marie Frere and Arleth Herrera/Tucker Tate rounded out Texas State’s Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACHR) moot court teams. Texas State students were able to win several awards, highlighted by Taylor Williams winning the Director’s Parliamentary Award and David Moncada winning Outstanding Orator in the IACHR moot court competition.

Andrea Garcia Rodriguez, MOAS President and PoliSci Senior, said that “my journey at TXST wouldn’t have been the same if I wasn’t part of both MOAS and MUN. They have not only broadened my horizons with new knowledge but also have been a way for myself to discover what I’m passionate about and that is International Relations. I know I’ll use everything I learned in my future.” PoliSci Senior Ava Stuart said of the conference: “ESMOAS was an amazing experience for me. Not only did I get to meet a lot of wonderful people, but I had the opportunity to learn and practice new skills. The chance to work on my public speaking was invaluable. I can’t emphasize how much I enjoyed this experience.” She added that she truly wished she “would be here in the fall to do it again.”

The complete list of the awards and honors our received by our Texas State students is as follows:

-Taylor Williams

Selected for Student Steering Committee.

-Taylor Williams

Selected by Faculty for Chairmanship for 26th Annual ESMOAS in 2022 (Secretariat for

Multidimensional Security).

– Priscilla Gonzalez and Mason Melead
Distinguished Delegate (2nd Place in Committee – Secretariat for Multidimensional Security).

– Taylor Williams
Distinguished Delegate (2nd Place in Committee – Secretariat for Political Affairs).

– Taylor Williams

Outstanding White Paper (1st Place in Committee – Secretariat of Political Affairs).

– David Moncada

Outstanding Orator (1st Place Overall – Inter-American Court on Human Rights moot court

Competition).

– Taylor Williams

Director’s Parliamentary Award (1st Place Overall).